Now more than ever, our country needs faith leaders to lead an active role in combating the gun violence epidemic that’s plaguing all major cities across the United States and its territories.
Clergy for Safe Cities is a coalition established to support clergy-based gun violence prevention initiatives and implement a collective, comprehensive, community initiative to decrease the involvement of young people in gangs, crimes, and gun violence in your city. This holistic approach will bring together committed partnerships with the requisite resources and mobilize strong community support in our diverse neighborhoods to build safe and healthy communities across America and across the world.
The coalition is guided by the moral principle that public safety is a shared responsibility with the belief that your active participation and the involvement of clergy will be pivotal in helping to address this scourge.
This Discussion Guide was developed to help you get started with your own clergy or faith- based group.
The first section provides the Overview of the State of Gun Violence in America.
The second section contains the Framework on Best Practices taken from across the U.S. with questions to guide you through the process as you prepare to embark on this important work.
The final section introduces our Clergy Protocol Guide and Prevention Toolkit which are cutting-edge tools that will serve as a powerful resource for Clergy For Safe Cities coalition members.
Our ultimate prayer and goal is to restore, heal, connect, recover, and empower our cities to exist without violence. All we need to end gun violence in America is faith that it can be done, the will to act, and the tools to bring about change. Journey with us as we utilize the resources to effectively eradicate the epidemic, care for our neighborhoods, and create safe cities. It can be done. It will be done. It must be done.
Founding Coalition Members
- Pastor Gil Monrose, Founding President, 67th Precinct Clergy Council, “The GodSquad”, Brooklyn
- Pastor Corey B. Brooks, CEO, Project H.O.O.D., Chicago
- Jeffrey Brown, President, Rebuilding Every Community Around Peace (RECAP), Boston
- Ciera Walker-Chamberlain, Executive Director, Live Free Chicago
- Bishop Kelvin L. Cobaris, Cobaris Ministries, Orlando
- Pastor Delonte Gholston, Peace Walk DC, Washington, DC
- Teny Gross, Executive Director, Institute for NonViolence, Chicago
- Pastor Charles Harrison, President, Ten Point Coalition, Indianapolis
- Pastor Michael McBride, Director, LIVE FREE Campaign with Faith In Action, Los Angeles
- Pastor Devin Turner, Lead Pastor, Revolution Church, Washington, DC
- Wendy Coram-Vialet, Director, Center for the Study of Spirituality and Professionalism at the University of the Virgin Islands
- Councilman Willie Lightfoot, Chairman, ROC Against Gun Violence Coalition, Rochester, NY
National Clergy Summit 2023
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.